Sony too big for its boots

From: Robert Harley (Robert.Harley@inria.fr)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 05:26:27 PDT

Steve Heckler, senior veepee of Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. spake thusly:

  The industry will take whatever steps it needs to protect itself and
  protect its revenue streams. It will not lose that revenue stream, no
  matter what.

Concerning Napster et alia:

  Sony is going to take aggressive steps to stop this. We will develop
  technology that transcends the individual user. We will firewall
  Napster at source -- we will block it at your cable company, we will
  block it at your phone company, we will block it at your [ISP]. We
  will firewall it at your PC.

  These strategies are being aggressively pursued because there is
  simply too much at stake.

See e.g., http://www.uwiretoday.com/computing081700001.html

Bye,
  Rob.