Re: Are you an open source developer?

From: Gregory Alan Bolcer (gbolcer@endTECH.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 16:34:25 PDT

comp.sources.game listed Xconq in the summer of 1986 and
I never did one bit of work the whole Summer. [1] Later
in July 1987, they came out with an X10 version that allowed
more people than two to play over the Internet. I was one
of those tiny number of people who used X.

A quick GoogleVista search shows a history as follows
from George Tyler, Motorola Computer Group:[2]
1968 - ARPANET to share software [I thought it was to share BAAs]
1969 - Unix source to Universities
1971 - MIT group for Free Software
1979 - Sendmail developed
1983 - General Public License (GPL) [I thought this was a recursive def]
1987 - Minux released with source
1991 - Linux Torvalds' Linux version .02
1993 - Free BSD 1.0
1994 - Red Hat & Caldera founded
1995 - Apache Server
1998 - Netscape releases source code

The History of Open Source Project is a little more
daring. They claim that the "open source" label itself wasn't
really "agreed" upon until Feb 3rd, 1998. The exact quote:[3]

[1] http://sources.redhat.com/xconq/manual/xconq_5.html
[2] http://www.tmcnet.com/ctiexpo/f99/ppp/dev4/sld002.htm
[3] http://www.opensource.org/history.html

--