RE: What is RDF?

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol (gtn@ebt.com)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 00:53:55 PDT

> What is different between that and this discussion is that this
> discussion seems focussed on the people behind the technologies and
> their motives. It is unclear to me how this discussion will increase
> our understanding of the technology. It would be good to return to
> old fashioned technical flame wars ...

People who know me, know I'm pretty much a techno-dweeb (can't get
enough of technology).

That said, I've also always thought that technology for technology's
sake (technology without a market), is largely a waste of time. At
the end of the day, it is the *applications* that are important.
Most of my customers couldn't give a tinkers' cuss about the technology.
From that angle, I appreciate Dave's comments.

I understand RDF (having both hypermedia and AI in my past), but it
*is* a bit hard for most people to grok the value of. I think
namespaces are similar.

The interesting thing about both is that there are alternatives,
that, for many applications, are simpler, and more appropriate.

Anyway, just my $0.02.