Re: What is RDF?

From: Dan Brickley (Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 04:18:14 PDT

It's just the Web information model. Typed links. We use URIs for those
types, and for the types of the things they interconnect. Devil's in the
detail (quoting mechanism, reification, datatyping etc), but the basic
idea ain't new.

Does this sound familiar?

        "...In providing a system for manipulating this sort of information,the hope
        would be to allow a pool of
          information to develop which could grow and evolve with the
        organisation and the projects it
          describes. For this to be possible, the method of storage must
        not place its own restraints on the
          information. This is why a "web" of notes with links (like
        references) between them is far more useful
          than a fixed hierarchical system. When describing a complex
        system, many people resort to
          diagrams with circles and arrows. Circles and arrows leave one
        free to describe the
          interrelationships between things in a way that tables, for
        example, do not. The system we need is
          like a diagram of circles and arrows, where circles and arrows
        can stand for anything. "

quoted in http://www.w3.org/1999/11/11-WWWProposal/thenandnow

--danbri