Re: [NYT] Phone Surfing for a Few Yen...

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 19:55:02 PDT

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Adam Rifkin wrote:

> > "It's a new business model" for information providers on the
> > Internet, said Toby Rodes, an analyst with Nikko Salomon Smith Barney
> > in Tokyo. "With the PC, they made a mistake and put up all the
> > contents for free, and you can't go back and start charging people.
> > With mobile Internet, there will always be price for content."

An absolute cut through all the hype viewpoint from someone on the
telephony side of things. If you give it away, or anyone else gives it
away, the game is OVER. Please insert 50 cents and find a new
distribution channel to play again. The Web game is over, bigtime,
people are just racing to give stuff away. Remember how much of a fight
AOL put up before they would let their users roam the internet, looks
like they weren't so dumb to fight it afterall.

With WAP, I think people made the same mistake again, too much free
stuff, it remains to be seen if they will make it yet again with the
DoMoCo stuff here in the west. We're running out of controlled bit
distribution channels aren't we?

That noise you hear isn't hype, it's the sound of a million geeks saying
"oops" while everyone laughs and downloads more free stuff.

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/