Re: Prozac for everyone.

From: Linda (joelinda1@home.com)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 05:01:17 PDT

cdale wrote: << I am puzzled by Jeff's immediate reaction
to zoloft, which sounds like mania. Don't antideps take weeks and weeks
to saturate the brain?>>

Yup, they usually they take around 6 weeks for maximum effect.
It's a bit difficult explain Jeff's immediate reaction (on-line
diagnosis is rather limiting :)). Sometimes it's an 'ideosycratic
response' - an unpredictable side-effect to a drug. Sometimes it's
placebo effect. This is a very real phenomenon, occurs perhaps 30%
of the time with any drug therapy we prescribe, and why all decent
medical trials have to show statistically significant benefit
over placebo.

Most persons will have no clinical benefit with SSRI's in the first
week or two. Often they just experience side-effects (insomnia,
agitation, etc.) This is why Xanax or other sedatives are often
prescribed initially, so that the patient will persist with SSRI
therapy. Most of these initial side-effects will wear off after
a few weeks.

<< Also, your thoughts on welbutrin, which is being used to treat
everything from ADD to depression to smoking cessation. How the heck
does THAT work?...I ask my doctor questions about how meds work,
how I work, but their answers are always murky. >>

The reason you're getting fuzzy answers is because no one really
knows the actual mechanism of action of Wellbutrin (bupropion).
It seems to increase brain levels of serotonin and norepinephrine
but to a milder degree than other antidepressant drugs.

Linda