Re: Prozac for everyone.

From: cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 21:50:28 PDT

My problem with Prozac is exactly what the topic says: they throw it at
everyone. Alcohol problems? Anger problems? Have 3 kids you're
supporting by yourself? Twisted an ankle? Here! Have some prozac!
While I've seen it work in life-saving ways (brings my ex gf out of
suicidal depression with a SNAP), each case must be considered
individually. IMO, medication should be the last straw, the first being
an in-depth study of the patient's background, family history, present
state of life, etc. I can personally bring myself out of deep depression
by writing my way out of it, thanks to the suggestion of a kind counsellor
I had about 12 years ago. I know it's not quite that simple for some, but
it seems that going to a shrink is like going through the justice system
lately. Fast food medicine for a fast food world? None for me, thanks.
Cindy

 "A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of doubtful sanity."
          -- Robert Frost