Re: [Fwd: Eliezer speaks (forwardable)] - was loserhood and analysis

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 16:11:54 PDT

> I'm not interested in implementing Eliezer's Rules or Brian's Rules or
> Jeff Bone's Rules; I'm interested in implementing The Rules.

Okay, that sounds reasonable. But before we begin figuring out The Rules, shouldn't we
agree on The Metarules?

BTW, I like your "no coercion" concept. I think that's a good start. Make sure you
apply that concept everywhere, even when it treads on your own preferences.

> I don't
> think there's a whole lot of slack in the Sysop Instructions; not with
> respect to the basics, anyway. Does the Solar System get divided up
> evenly among the six billion inhabitants? Yes.

Why? What evidence do you have that this allocation strategy is better than any other
strategy, much less all other strategies?

> Can you do whatever the
> heck you want with your piece, as long as it (a) doesn't harm anyone
> else without that being's permission and (b) doesn't let you construct a
> Sysop-threatening weapon?

What if I don't like my piece? I like your piece better. Who gets to parcel them out?
And why can't I construct a Sysop-threatening weapon? That conflicts with my
libertarian values. "Right to Keep and Bear Arms." Perhaps more pertinently, given
that such a weapon would likely be bits, doesn't the latter infringe free speech? Hey,
I never agreed to that before you elected yourself God.

> Yes. Can you harm, or even affect, another
> entity without vis permission?

That sounds reasonable.

> No. Do the Amish get to keep farming?
> Yes.
>
> I'd have to rate all of that a big honkin' Duh. So what exactly is left
> to debate?

Well, see above, clearly there are big gaping holes of consensus. But, thanks, you've
absolutely proven that you don't have enough objectivity, or even ability or willingness
to consider other points of view, for the God gig. Next! ;-)

> Hand it over to the UN, though, and I *guarantee* they'll screw it up.

Absolutely, unequivocally, no doubt.