EmWeb/Agranat & Virata

From: Gregory Alan Bolcer (gbolcer@endtech.com)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 09:28:48 PDT

http://www.emweb.com/about_agranat/news/virata.html

This press release went out on July 25th. I don't
remember hearing about it; I would have thought it'd
show up on FoRK of all places. The final deal won't
close until the 3rd quarter 2000, so I guess we have
a chance to tell them what idiots they are--their company
could easily be worth 5-10 times VRTA*492,000.

It's not that I don't agree that Virata needs their
product for their DSL, broadband (what's the diff between
these again?) and their desire to get into internet appliances,
it's just that I think Agranat could have chosen so many
other paths to getting there. The press release talks about
being able to accelerate their "next generation systems
management solutions including features and options such
as Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) and XML."

They, of course, intend to be first to market.

My question, why didn't they raise VC or even corporate
investment to grow their internal roadmap? We're they that
risk averse that they didn't think they could expand & accelerate
their business without a company that really should be a customer
rather than an acquirer?

Anyways, Agranat is a cool company. Not sure I'd invest in Virata,
but stranger things have happened.

Greg