Re: Linux on a Watch

From: Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 14:47:56 PDT

Eugene Leitl writes:
> B.K. DeLong writes:
> > NEW YORK (Reuters) - International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE:IBM -
> > news) said on Monday that researchers are running the Linux operating
> > system on a prototype wristwatch device, in a research test designed to
> > show that Linux can be used as the basic software on the smallest devices.
>
> So Linux will run on a 68HC11, and maybe even on the PIC? Wow. Who
> would have thought.

I think the point is that you can put a chip capable of running a real
OS in a wristwatch. You can still get smaller than a wristwatch, but
not much --- even a PIC12 is only about a tenth of a size of that
wristwatch.

Cheaper is another matter entirely. :)

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves
possess.
                -- Gandalf the Grey [J.R.R. Tolkien, "Lord of the Rings"]