[Salon] Simson Garfinkel on Windows Me

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 15:16:39 PDT

"It's a sad comment on Redmond's wizards that they haven't figured out a
way to let people install an operating system without jeopardizing their
computer's health at the same time." Ya think?

   http://www.salon.com/tech/col/garf/2000/08/04/windows_me/index.html

> Beware of geeks bearing gifts
> Microsoft may offer you a break on Windows Me, but that doesn't mean the
> upgrade won't cost you.
> By Simson Garfinkel
>
> Aug. 4, 2000 | Microsoft's decision to slash the price of the Windows
> Millennium Edition upgrade from $89 to $59 --- a whopping 33 percent
> savings -- made headlines this week. But the public should beware of
> geeks bearing gifts. Windows Me has some significant improvements, but
> for most users those improvements do not justify the pain and potential
> dangers they will face with this upgrade. Microsoft can lower the price
> of Windows Me and give it a few great features, but it can't
> fundamentally make Me a better operating system than Windows 95, because
> of underlying technical flaws with the whole Windows operating
> environment.
>
> I know, because I spent more than a week struggling with a Windows Me
> upgrade before I gave up, reformatted my hard drive, installed a clean
> version of the operating system on my 550 MHz Pentium III desktop
> computer and reinstalled all of my applications. Now that my computer is
> finally operational once again, I'm quite pleased with the results. But
> I doubt that other computer users will think that the new features are
> worth the hassle.
>
> Microsoft's Windows Millennium Edition won't be in stores until
> September, but the code for the operating system has been finalized for
> many weeks now. A few weeks ago a publicist at Microsoft's public
> relations firm called me up and offered to send me a complementary
> review copy of system. "Sure," I said, "send me a copy. I love living
> dangerously."
>
> The publicist laughed a little and reassured me that she was sending me
> "final code." A few days later the promised CD-ROM showed up in the
> mail, and I bravely inserted it into my machine.
>
> Windows Me is the latest in a long series of Microsoft operating systems
> that are directly descended from the PC-DOS operating system that
> powered the original 1981 IBM Personal Computer.
>
> Looking back from our vantage point in the 21st century, people remember
> DOS as a slow, clunky operating system. But I remember DOS as an
> exceedingly reliable operating platform. In part, this is because of its
> simplicity. DOS had two main functions: controlling the placement of
> files on a computer's disk drive and loading application programs into
> memory for execution. I had one of those early IBM computers and my
> memory is that the only time it crashed was when I wrote my own
> programs. If I was running BASIC or my simple word processor, that
> original PC was far more reliable than the Windows-based computers that
> I use today. It was also reasonably fast.
>
> DOS was so reliable and fast, in fact, that Microsoft was ridiculed when
> it started shipping the graphical user interface now known as Windows.
> [...]

----
Adam@4K-Associates.Com

"I am totally against plastic surgery. A lot of people think I have breast implants because I have the biggest boobs in the business. But I was a 34C when I was 17...They stay up when I wear a push-up bra. But if people could see me when I come home and take off my bra, how could they think these are fake?" -- Tyra Banks, discussing the size of her breasts, on The Sun Newspaper http://www.geocities.com/FashionAvenue/3062/bienvenido.html