Re: Suck To Moziila--Fuck Off and Die

From: Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 17:23:18 PDT

Greg Bolcer writes:

> To judge a browser based on whether or not it reads and displays HTML
> correctly according to an industry-wide standard is a 1994
> criteria.

Thanks for confirming my growing suspicion that the web is utterly
unsuitable for publishing of scientific documents with a readability
scope beyond a few years. Acidfree dead tree can last at least a
century.

Time to define own academic publishing *standards* and decouple from
the industry (defacto already happened with .ps.gz, though .pdf is
rapidly gaining ground -- not a good development, as GhostView and
AdobeAcrobat differ in their rendering standards. Also, AA has buffer
overrun troubles -- the plague of all complex data formats). Constant
manual migration is way too expensive.