Re: Software and the First Amendment

From: Tom Whore (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 08:06:18 PDT

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, it was written:

--]just says that Nixon is a crook, which is protected speech. And speech
--]recognition would just make the code == speech idea more explicit. But
--]applying the rules of speech to machines (which is what software is for)
--]would be a low level change in the legal system.

Which leads me to ask... Can you yell print "fire\n"; in a crowded
theater?

--]IANAL, but I think it is possible that this concept really wasn't
--]addressed in the constitution. Which means that our current generation of
--]politicians and judges will have to step up and create a new body of law.
--]And given that they can barely fix a parking ticket, that's pretty scary.
--]

bzzzzzzzt. What really needs to be done is the voting public needs to
EDUCATE thier representives on all levels ("hey if you dont get on the
ball tech wise a large block of voters is gonna dump you like a thrice
used tea bag") about (or aboot if your canadian) the issues.

left to themselves the legislature et al would be setting up fifedoms and
protectorates.

    [---===tomwhore@ []wsmf.org []inetarena.com []slack.net===---]
                   WSMF's web site ----http://wsmf.org