Re: New Scientist Trial by laptop.html

From: Gregory Alan Bolcer (gbolcer@endTECH.com)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 14:34:51 PDT

The point is you want to remove the human out of the loop.
Humans are fallable and biased. In Mexico, for immigration control
and interstate-commerce, they took the inspection agents and turned them into
secondary inspectors. Every tourist or traveler simply goes up
to a stoplight. They push the button and if it turns green, you
get to merrily go on your way, if it turns red, they go through
all your stuff with a fine tooth comb. The decision is taken
completely out of the hands of anyone at the scene, and everyone
has a fatalistic determinism about the whole scenario.

Greg

--
Gregory Alan Bolcer        | gbolcer@endtech.com    | work: 949.833.2800
Chief Technology Officer   | http://www.endtech.com | cell: 714.928.5476