RE: FW: Kill the RIAA: a protocol

From: Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 10:22:11 PDT

Gavin Thomas Nicol writes:

> The point is that you shouldn't be *required* to have a cluster. OS's should

But you're required to run a cluster if you're mission critical and/or
high-performance, and be it only because hardware can be unreliable,
too. Bitrot will become noticeable when you've got too many components.

> not have hard crashes so frequently. It really annoys people when the hard
> crash causes data loss, or time loss. Also, remember that clusters cost $$$$

If your OS/app doesn't support checkpointing/rollback, then you're in
deep shit, anyway.

> to buy and maintain.

You don't have to buy premium hardware if you're running
redundantly. Just a few shelved boxes with redundant networking will
do. Having 64 boxes in a single 19" is sure nice, but not if you
consider the price tag.