RE: Prelude to the Singularity

From: Jim Whitehead (ejw@ics.uci.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 16:00:52 PDT

So, what is the original content in this piece?

The media like this story due to the conflict between Napster (good guy),
and RIAA (bad guy). Abstracting this to technologists (good guys), and RIAA
(bad guys) isn't a hugely original step.

Furthermore, what proof do you have that "technologists" as a group share
the viewpoints, motives, and actions you ascribe to them? Who are the
technologists anyway? Are they American, white male computer programmers,
age 16-25, or are you desrcibing a broader demographic?

As for the rate of technological change, I'll assert that the rate of change
was very significant from 1850-1900. The effect of the telegraph was far
greater than the effect of the Internet. The effect of the railroad was
pervasive. We are still feeling the effects of industrialization. Every new
technology requires adaptations by institutions, laws, and society, and the
Internet is no different. In fact, the legal accommodations required to
encompass the Internet have so far been relatively minor.

Since software for home use is still mostly distributed on CDs in boxes,
which is more or less the same model used by the recording industry, why is
it that the RIAA is "under attack", but the software industry isn't? If it
were merely a case of fast technological change, the software industry
should have been "under attack" for a long time. Why isn't the publishing
industry also under fire? Is it merely the time cost of "ripping" a book
vs. ripping a CD? Or is there some perception difference in the public's eye
between the music industry, the software industry, and the book publishing
industry?

Furthermore, when are we going to get sick of stupid war analogies? In real
wars, people get blown up, shot at, civilians get killed, women are raped,
there are mass migrations of refugees, and in general massive large-scale
disruptions of people, institutions, social structures, governments, etc. I
don't see any of these qualities being exhibited in the institutional
interaction you're describing as a "war".

If you will think about these issues critically, delving beyond the surface
rhetoric that has defined the "Napster vs. RIAA" episode so far, you will
find a much more nuanced, and interesting story.

Or you could just publish this pablum.

- Jim