[the anti-AOLers strike back] IM Unified launches

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 15:55:03 PDT

Geez. This one is not to be confused with

  http://www.freeim.org/

which is mostly a political body. This one is

  http://www.imunified.org/

which seems to be more interested in the technology. Recall that
Microsoft owns 5% of CMGi, and CMGi owns 3% of Yahoo plus a majority of
Tribal Voice and iCast, and Tribal Voice provides IM to AT&T, and AT&T
is a significant shareholder in Excite @Home.

Sure, why not have a coalition. Meanwhile, AOL is laughing and laughing
and deciding which media giant it will swallow next after the merger
with Time Warner goes through. CBS or Disney, anyone? :)

> Q. Why are you forming the coalition at this time?
>
> Actually, we have been discussing the need for interoperability for
> some time. Many of the founding companies have been frustrated by the
> inability to achieve exchange of IM with other leading IM providers,
> such as AOL. In addition, not all of our founding members can
> currently provide exchange of IM with each other.
>
> Our customers are unhappy with the lack of interoperability, and we
> believe the market is demanding a change. We intend to take immediate
> first steps to correct this situation by ensuring that our members
> can exchange IM freely with each other.
>
> Ultimately, the development of open standards is the only real
> solution to this problem, and that work is well underway at the IETF.
> To complement that work and to demonstrate that safe and secure
> interoperability is indeed a viable objective that greatly benefits
> our users, we are intent on enabling seamless communication across
> the IMUnified membership.
>
> Q: What is your time frame to produce this interoperability solution?
>
> IMUnified plans to provide a basic framework for detailing the
> mechanics of IM exchange among our members systems by the end of
> August, with final implementation across member communities expected
> by the end of the year. Further efforts will be focused on deepening
> our degree of functional interoperability among member communities,
> consistent with adoption of emerging standards developments resulting
> from the IETF.
>
> Q: Why is IMUnified seeking an open standard?
>
> You can pick up any telephone and call anybody in the world, no
> matter who your phone service provider is. And you can e-mail anyone,
> no matter which e-mail application you use. But you can't send or
> receive instant messages to anybody, anywhere, because instant
> messaging is not yet fully interoperable. Through the efforts of
> IMUnified, our members will be able to offer their users the
> functional interoperability they have demanded, in the shortest
> amount of time possible.
>
> The lack of interoperability drastically limits how people
> communicate with one another through instant messaging applications;
> only those who are on the same network are able to use IM effectively
> to reach each other. This creates "islands" of users within the
> Internet. In addition, there's very little chance anyone will want to
> use a new and innovative instant messaging product that can't talk to
> others already on the market. The danger of this island phenomenon is
> an even greater problem when one recognizes that the emerging body of
> wireless IM users is projected to equal or eclipse the number of
> PC-based users in upcoming years. This lack of interoperability
> creates a closed marketplace where users cannot easily move from
> provider to provider, thus limiting competition in this important market.
>
> Q: How will interoperable instant messaging benefit consumers?

> [...]

----
Adam@4K-Associates.Com

New York-based Scholastic Inc., has ordered another 3 million copies [of the new Harry Potter book], after having distributed all of its 3.8 million initial print run. To put the demand into perspective, small bookstores say hardcover children's books rarely see double-digit sales in a single month. "We have never sold this many books in such a short period of time before," said Becky Whidden, manager of The Children's Book Shop in Brookline, Mass. "We've sold maybe 50 or 70 books in a week -- like Philip Pullman's 'The Golden Compass' and 'The Subtle Knife' young adult novels -- but nothing like this. With most books, we sell only five a week in hardcover." Amazon.com has sold more than 457,000 copies of "Goblet of Fire" as of July 25, spokesman Bill Curry said Wednesday. Of those, 350,000 were ordered prior to the official release -- more than six times the Web site's previous prepublication record, set by John Grisham's "The Brethren" in March. New York-based Barnes & Noble Inc. sold 502,000 copies by the close of business July 9, making it the biggest weekend in the bookstore chain's history. About 360,000 were pre-ordered, and 100,000 came through the bookstore chain's Web site. The company declined to release updated sales figures. Booksellers say the only other books of this magnitude in the children's category are the Potter predecessors, the first of which was published in 1995. The series has so far sold 35 million copies worldwide, and hold the top four slots on the newly launched New York Times Children's Hardcover Best Sellers list. -- http://www.salon.com/business/wire/2000/07/26/potter/index.html