Re: Buddy, can you spare some cycles?

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 20:30:30 PDT

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Gordon Mohr wrote:

> I might have to root for this one, with it being based in Austin,
> and having as its CTO David Anderson -- the SETI@Home director and,
> even more importantly, professor of my favorite college CS course
> (OS Concepts).

David is an... interesting guy, was actually allied with us for a while,
then another company, now UD. And Dan Werthimer is the head alien
hunter, credit where credit is due. Noone would claim I designed the
RC5 algorithm.

> United Devices joins a crowded field of startups -- PopularPower,
> ProcessTree, Centrata, Porivo -- and of course open-source projects
> like Cosm.

We're dual license (eventually, we will finish the license). And Cosm is
definately not in the same thing they are, so please don't say mean
things like that.

The CS-SDK _is_ in the same field they are, it's a kit to build one of
the above not-commercially-viable projects, or setup a research project
like d.net "quick like bunny". CS-SDK is also already out, so it's now
truely trivial to have your own cycle harvesting dot-com up by Monday.
Your professor would be proud. http://www.mithral.com/products/cs-sdk/

The first research project using it is even already set to go as soon as
it's cleaned up and they get all the binaries compiled.

> It seems to me that an even bigger waste than unused CPU cycles is
> the number of startups chasing duplicate business models. Thus I'm
> happy to announce my new project, Purposa.com.

<ridicule>
It's prefuckedcompany.com
You'll have to submit yourself of course.
</ridicule>

*chuckles* - nine

I think the site would actually be very neat, I'd visit, even submit a
few... hundred. This may be exactly what the dot-com world needs, people
pointing out the idiots ahead of time, not after the investors get
screwed. Dot-com does mean "no business model" after all.

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/