Re: Interesting question

From: Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 17:07:31 PDT

Kragen Sitaker writes:

> Did my other FoRKpost not make it? You don't need to cache them all,
> or any of them. Seven gigabits suffices to drive a 1600x1200 monitor
> at 150fps at 24bpp.

You're casting a bitmap over a (fast, optical network). You're sending
vectors about your changed state (position, velocity, viewing vector,
sound feed, etc.) (latency) which is being rendered remotely on a game
server (more latency, but you'd have to do it locally as well, so that
doesn't count), then the rendered bitmap is being transferred over the
optical network (latency) and written to frame buffer, and displayed.

Unless your network is totally switched (best, optically) I don't see
the interim latency not showing up. You're asking for a fast, very low
latency channel with a very good QoS, which is a lot.

Not that I think it can't be done, but I don't see it happen soon, and
I don't see any need for it. Gfx hardware will take many more
development cycles before it's development will become more or less
static. Right now hot silicon is the worst investment. Users are used
to upgrade every 1-2 years, so let them.