Re: Real-time distributed Web search (Gnutella knockoff?)

From: Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 13:40:41 PDT

Adam Beberg writes:
> I lost count ages ago how many people have come to me and said I should
> make a search engine with Cosm, but it's well into the hundreds. I've
> got my "shake head and chuckle" move down perfectly ;) then I explain
> why. To be fair to all the people that ask, distributed systems aren't
> somthing you encounter in life, or in a normal undergrad program, so
> people aren't trained to think about them. If you try to apply familiar
> rules of hierarchy and specialization to them, it doesn't work.

Well, you definitely have more experience with building large-scale
distributed systems than I do. :) More, actually, than almost anyone
does. Could you take the time to explain, in short words so we can
understand, how familiar rules of hierarchy and specialization don't
apply?

The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!
The power didn't go out on 2000-01-01 either.  :)