Re: Napster, Gnutella: URN lookup services?

From: Joseph Reagle (reagle@alum.mit.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 07:40:17 PDT

At 09:51 6/28/00 -0700, Jim Whitehead wrote:
>So, it dawned on me today that the name of a song, along with its band
name,
>acts as an identifier for the song.

And I assume you've seen the 'service' that resolves every single gnutella
query to a spam .html page (with a declared bandwidth of 10000). In time, we
will need methods to avoid that sort of shit or you won't be able to
download without grabbing advertisements, virus filled executables, and such.

Regards, http://reagle.org/joseph/
Joseph Reagle E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65 BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin