Re: The Book of Life

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 12:33:55 PDT

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Ka-Ping Yee wrote:

> So. Looks like we're well on the way to reprogramming ourselves.

Programming, minus the "re". Us post-egg humans are still stuck with the
trial-and-error DNA garbage we've got. Patching post-egg is hard not to
mention dangerous, eventually you need a new version.

> A friend of mind commented that buying books online might become
> quite a bore after genetic modifications became commonplace.
>
> Can you imagine the "reviews" section for such a site?

*laughs*

But that is WHY we did this afterall. Better babies without the problems
we have. Way more money in that then in one-time cures for a disease.
Cure the disease, put yourself out of business. But everyone will buy
that 36-26-36C, IQ 400 package, licensed like geneticly engineered crops
of course, with no reproduction rights.

The real problems start as human version X and X+1 come closer together
with greater improvements, meanwhile you have all those version X minus
2s out there for 100 years still eatting food but that are now useless,
un-hireable, unwanted, uninsureable, and without enough eye-candy genes
to get a date.

Welcome to GATTACA, please enjoy your stay, but be sure to terminate
yourself when an upgrade is available, click [here] for your nearest
suicide booth.

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/