RE: Napster, Gnutella: URN lookup services?

From: Jim Whitehead (ejw@ics.uci.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 11:14:24 PDT

> Imperfect as it is, Napster's database holds a taxonomy of popular music
> among Internet users, a snapshot, one with a lot of historic value, imho.
>
> I want to get that data into XML on public servers. I have contact with
> management at Napster and can ask for technical details. Of course I'm not
> sure if they'll answer. And they don't want crawlers, even so..

So this is different from CDDB in that it would capture demographic
information (what's available now, during a particular period of time).

I think the issues Greg raised wrt to the wide range of forms that existing
song filenames have could be addressed by cross-referencing with information
in the CDDB database.

- Jim