RE: Napster, Gnutella: URN lookup services?

From: Jim Whitehead (ejw@ics.uci.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 11:10:47 PDT

Well, this is the well known (but really difficult) variant problem.
Essentially I favor an approach of adding additional metadata to each
artist/song pair to differentiate it from other instances of the same song.
This was the intent of the third, "variant" field. But, I suspect there is
a need for having more than just one variant field, and there is the
additional problem that there are multiple axes of variation. In classical
music, the conductor, orchestra, and recording date are all additional
pieces of information needed to uniquely identify the song.

Lucas' approach would handle variants better, since he explicitly has a
bunch of attribute/value pairs in his identifiers. But, it raises the
question of whether we want more of a human readable name, or just a machine
readable identifier. Lucas' approach is more towards the latter.

- Jim