RE: WebVan buys HomeGrocer: walking wounded

From: Joseph S. Barrera III (joe@barrera.org)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 16:54:34 PDT

Well, I should say, I'm always online at home
*UNLESS* some bozo with a welding torch decides
to set a whole bunch of cables on fire.

So now I'm without phone or cable-modem at home,
which is to say, without any internet access.

- Joe

June 27, 2000 (AP)
Phone service down in certain coastal areas

   (06-27) 12:37 PDT SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (AP) -- The 27,000 homes
and
businesses on the San Francisco Peninsula that lost phone service after a
manhole fire Monday were still disconnected Tuesday.
   The phone company offered 300 cellular phones and extra public pay phones
to help with the shortages in South San Francisco and other parts of San
Mateo County. City officials decided what emergency personnel would
receive the phones.
   The pay phones were hooked up to repaired lines, which could have been
routed to homes but would not have served as many people, said Pacific
Bell spokesman John Britton.
   The fire in the Pacific Bell manhole happened in San Bruno, when workers
at the Bay Area Rapid Transit extension project were removing steel
supports from the construction site, Britton said. A welder's torch is
believed to have caused the blaze, he said.
   Twenty-seven Pacific Bell cables were destroyed in the fire, and Pacific
Bell officials have promised that crews will work around the clock to
repair the damage. Still, officials say that could take several days.
   Crews were working on splicing lines in three manholes Tuesday, including
the one where lines were destroyed in the fire. Workers enlarged one
manhole so it could accommodate seven members of the repair crew instead
of two.