Re: the official hype on Zaplets

From: Dave Winer (dave@userland.com)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 05:48:32 PDT

It goes back even further than that.

CE Software, makers of QuickMail, the Mac's email program, had a feature
called QuickForms, which does what FireDrop does now.

John Foster, the product manager, told me when we examined Firedrop on
Scripting News, that people loved the demos of QuickForms, but no one used
them.

Too much trouble, both on the sending and receiving end. And CE controlled
the reader experience, and of course FireDrop does not. When I tried to send
a FireDrop message to myself, well, it didn't work. And I'm using the
emailer they want me to use.

Vinod failed to mention their real reason for feeling confident in face of
potential competition from Microsoft. They have filed patents on this idea.

Dave