Re: Open Source transaction stuff

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 10:41:11 PDT

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Tom Whore wrote:

> The whole of the Open Source, Free, whatever debates boils down to
> this....
> Is your source open for anyone to use as They see fit?

There is a name for that, its called "public domain". And noone, not
even the *BSD folks do that.

> If its not then its not Open, its just NOT SHUT TIGHT. Calling something
> the NSTS trips the tongue, so lets call it Not shUt Tight Software or
> NUTS.

Then everyone is NUTS, which I would have to agree with. All of it, GPL,
*BSD, MPL, ESR, RMS... everyone. Not one of them has ever overcome
chromosome 5 (greed) and public domain'd everything. Noone wants
<example>Microsoft</example> using their code.

In other words: you first *evil human nature grin*

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/