RE: [CBS MarketWatch] A nose by any other name

From: Mark Day (markday@cisco.com)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 08:48:53 PDT

> << NEW YORK (Office.com) --Just as with fingerprints, people's faces are
> distinctly their own. A new generation of pocket PCs, personal digital
> assistants and cell phones will use the measure of one's facial
> contours as
> part of their security features. >>

I can never believe how seriously people take all the the biometric systems.
Since all of these systems also have something that corresponds
approximately to a password file, which could be compromised by an attack or
an insider, there seems to be relatively little attractive about them in
real-world usage.

More than once in my career I've been told I have to choose a new password
because the password file had been compromised. If we're doing iris scans, I
only have two eyes. Similarly, I have only two hands and one face.

"Dear system user: we had a hacker break in over the weekend and compromise
everyone's logins. Accordingly, we have scheduled plastic surgery for
everyone."

--Mark

Mark Stuart Day
Senior Scientist