RE: Rimm Job?

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 05:54:19 PDT

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Damien Morton wrote:

> So all RIM needs now is an AOL IM client, an IRC client, and a version of
> the 957 that doesnt require MS Exchange and I will surely buy one.

I downloaded, and briefly played with their SDK since I do that with all
such devices, but this one made me feel all icky. First they seem to be
moving towards Java and WAP, which right off the bat turns me off to
their future prospects. Then unlike Palm they won't give you most of the
stuff you want, just some of it, "we'll contact you". Suuuuure.

"It is assumed that Microsoft Developer Studio version 5.0 is used."

while ( 1 )
{
  ShootFoot();
)

Their SDK is for Microsoft junkies, and only for Microsoft junkies. Most
embedded things I've delt with ship with a version of gcc for the
processsor and the headers/libs/docs for the API. Ya dont even have to
use the gcc they give ya, but it's there if you dont have another
compiler. Nope, RIM tied themselves to Microsoft compilers for no good
reason, and the thing even has a WinCE feel to it, applications are even
.DLLs. If you're not already a Microsoft developer, with the microsoft
tools, just forget it. The API under the mess is preaty nice, not as
advanced as Palm tho, the geeks did good and some dork in management
with some MSFT stock screwed it up.

If they want to beat Palm, they have a LONG way to go for developer
support. No developers, no chance. Palm spoils their developers and
would probably send someone over to read the manual as a bedtime story
if you asked. RIM did _not_ give me that good feeling at all. If they
don't fix that, RIM will RIP. Besides, palm has a full size fold-out
keyboard, and that wins hands down in my book.

Motorola had an almost identical product out about 2 years ago, wonder
what happened to it.

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/