Re: Web IT, WAP IT, Anytime, Anywhere, Anyplace

From: Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 12:30:34 PDT

Dr. Ernie asks:
> Huh? I thought Rohit was Anti-WAP. What gives?
> > " MagiWAP(tm) blazes a trail towards the next generation of mobile Web
> > applications." says Rohit Khare, CEO of KnowNow, Inc. and 4K Associate

I think Rohit is impressed with the Magi part, not the WAP part. :)

My experience with WAP so far is that no combination of expletives
suffices to describe the deep unpleasantness of the user experience.
I'm interested in hearing new combinations I hadn't yet considered,
though, preferably from fellow sufferers.

I am convinced that wire- and fiber-based communications lines of more
than 10cm or so will eventually disappear from the face of the earth,
probably even before the advent of nanotech. I am no skeptic on the
future of wireless communications. WAP is just shit: a technically bad
standard mandating a painful user experience, with almost-unusably-buggy
implementations [admittedly I've only suffered through two Motorola
implementations so far], marketed by an evil organization, and, worst
of all, it is intellectual property.

The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!
The power didn't go out on 2000-01-01 either.  :)