Re: AOL IM Traffic Statistics

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 16:18:41 PDT

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> According to public AOL statements:
>
> 4 Million simultaneous users at peak
> 1 Billion IMs/day
> 2 MB/second = 173 GB/day = 20Mb+ avg. traffic, full duplex loading

There are 91M AOL-IM users, 23M of which actually subscribe to AOL.
Add in the other "services" that use AOL-IM on the sneaky-sneak.
That's only 10 per user per day. not so unreasonable...
dont even ask how many i sent in a day

> The bandwidth is much less than I would have thought.

Most bandwidth is peer-peer is you do it right, or anywhere near right.

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/