Re: FORTUNE.com: The Dumbest Dot-Com

From: JTS - MCDLXXXVI (jts7@duke.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 12:52:47 PDT

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Joachim Feise wrote:
> This burn rate is astonishing...
> I wonder how many people are betting on the burn-out of
> AllAdvantage on http://www.fuckedcompany.com/

Nah, the betting on FC is far more short term. And, conveniently, there
are lots of dotcoms ready to die before this one. Some of my favorite
"doomed dotcoms" are, sadly, on too far an arc to really be smart plays
there. Do you think there should be bonus points for dotcoms that, upon
flaming out, also bring down their (formerly profit-making) major
investors or parent companies?

In a related note, I'd really love to hear what FoRK has to say about
"contest sites" like iwon.com and freescholarships.com - is there
something to this "targeted advertising" and "affinity marketing" that's
more than smoke and mirrors?

        JTS
(still thinks portals are mostly full of shit, too)