Engenia portal: MyYahoo + Magi....

From: Meltsner, Kenneth (Kenneth.Meltsner@ca.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 12:24:15 PDT

I've been playing the new Engenia Unity portal product. So far, I've only
used the personal server version (brings up a webserver on your local
machine and serves up pages just like its big brother, but without file
sharing and other collaboration tools).

The feature set looks like most portals: a front page with lots of boxes
with info from various sources. There's support for defining multiple views
of your life (e.g. work, family, personal) and a simple to-do/project task
manager.

The one interesting aspect is that it supports collaborative file sharing
through a server with *disconnected operation/synchronization^ capability.
It feels a lot like the Magi approach, I think, since you define who you're
working with and files propagate appropriately. It does require a central
server (and has the RSA license/certification brand placed prominently), so
it's not entirely equivalent.

Any thoughts on this one? Mostly disconnected operation may be the next big
feature for portals, I think.

Ken Meltsner