Re: Java for Linux

From: Ciamac Cyrus Moallemi (ciamac@alum.mit.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 06:57:12 PDT

At 6/12/2000 Monday 19:07, Adam L. Beberg wrote:
>I was in the local bookstore and saw a book titled:
>
>"Java for Linux"
>
>I'm hoping I'm not the only one who sees the problem there. Most likely
>a case of someone adding a buzzword just for the sake of it, but which
>one I wonder...

Things have changed tremendously over the past 6 months. Both Sun and IBM
have state of the art JVM offerings on Linux. IBM's JDK 1.3 beta on linux
is faster for pure number crunching than any other JVM on Intel hardware
independent of OS. For the work I do (scientific computing), Java under
Linux is as fast as or faster than unoptimized C/C++, making it a very
viable platform.