looking for a good report generation package

From: John Klassa (klassa@mail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 07:00:36 PDT

I'm a developer on an application that uses an Oracle database. One
of our biggest deficiencies is in the area of reporting... Management
wants happy, shiny pictures (the usual management variety -- pie charts,
bar graphs, you name it).

Moreover, the engineers who use the system want the ability to design
their own (textual) reports. Since the database design for the system
appears to be in an eternal state of flux, it'd be nice to use a tool
that lets you abstract away the details of, e.g., how some entity or
another is stored in the database, and which simply lets you ask for
"all entities of type X with property Y which are part of subsystem Z
and which were entered after date D" (and so on).

Anybody had success with a third-party tool for this sort of thing?
Seems like there are a bunch out there, but I have no experience with
any of them and don't know anybody I can chat up to get a running start.

If you've got a favorite tool/package for this sort of thing, I'd like
to hear about it. Our app has a web front-end, so the ideal solution
will be one that runs on the server back-end (Solaris), in batch mode,
and merely dumps the results somewhere to be fetched later.

Not, traditionally, a database guy...
  John

--
John Klassa / klassa@mail.com