Re: National Sign-On Letter to House on H-1Bs, U.S. Immigration

From: Linda (joelinda1@home.com)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 09:18:47 PDT

Stephen D. Williams wrote:

<< If you don't like it, go study something that changes slowly, like
 medicine!>>

Not sure I agree with that!!! There is a lot of change, if one looks for
it, and a shift towards evidence-based and cost-effective medical practice
which requires constant study. We have to keep up with the reading.

I find it incredible that there might be age discrimination amongst
programmers. In medicine, experience is usually considered an asset.
Much of the training in medical school is irrelevant, and Residency training
does little to prepare for real-world medicine. Experience is the greatest
teacher. In fact, some believe it is desirable to find a physician with around
10 years experience - apparently that is the point where clinical knowledge and
experience are optimal. (Of course, I have been in practice for just over 10
years; otherwise I wouldn't be writing this ;)) So it seems unusual that age
and experience would not be considered valuable in your field.

<<Of course there is a big difference between the tiny percentage that
are really into learning, curiosity, and self-improvement that read and
learn constantly.>>

Yup, that probably applies to every profession. Attitude is everything.

--Linda