RE: National Sign-On Letter to House on H-1Bs, U.S. Immigration

From: Eric D. Sherman (EricSherman@Alum.MIT.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 14:27:33 PDT

Joachim Feise wrote:

> Of course, Mr. Matloff Cc'ed his original answer to everyone on his
> list of anti-immigration advocates.
> Who are the "thousands of high tech workers" who share the same anecdote?
> Again and again I see you and your collegues arguing with some numbers
that
> nobody seems to know except you. Apparently, these numbers circulate in
> anti-immigration circles, and at some point become "facts".

Norm has given you the poll reference.

> And then you throw in another anecdote about recruiting at UCD, which
> again does not show anything.
> Just a consideration: maybe recruiting at UCD is down because the people
> already have jobs.
> It is known that all US universities have problems getting graduate
students
> because of the worker shortage. People are leaving undergraduate curricula
> even before graduation.

Perhaps the price to quality ratio at U.S. universities is too high ?
Businesses which can't keep customers should re-examine their product
offering.

> And why is the fact that a CEO said that they screen people something
> newsworthy? This happens all the time, in all industries. People apply for
> jobs they don't have the qualifications for, and they are screened out
> during the process. This has happened for centuries. Maybe you need
> an education in business management.

As I've said, I've been in business management for over 25 years, and I can
categorically state that American industry uses very odd, over-specific
criteria to screen candidates --- exactly as Norm has described. Were
American industry to recruit chauffeurs the way it recruits programmers, it
would advertize:

"Driver wanted. Must have 3 to 8 years' experience driving and repairing
blue 1998 Chevy Caprice's. Hours 9 am to 9 pm Monday through Sunday. Salary:
$ 10,000." Then, when Mario Andretti (sp. ?) applies, reject his
application because he only has experience driving race cars at 120 mph, and
has no specific experience with blue Chevy Caprice's.