Re: National Sign-On Letter to House on H-1Bs, U.S. Immigration

From: John Klassa (klassa@mail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 07:55:22 PDT

  JTS> Speaking from what I've seen in software business, it's typical.
  JTS> I didn't get out of academia all that long ago, and I wouldn't
  JTS> trust an RCG to write half a Tcl GUI, much less serious code
  JTS> behind it.

Where do you work, BTW? In this area (I note your duke.edu address)?

(By "this area", I mean the RTP part of North Carolina... This
"mail.com" address is one that I use so that I don't have to resubscribe
to every list I'm on when I change jobs...)

  JTS> Exactly. At this point, I wonder if there's not demand for an
  JTS> old-school "training academy"...

That would certainly be ideal... Whether it's feasible, I don't know.
Probably not, since it would take eight years to produce the first
grads, and nobody thinks beyond six months these days. :-)

Something akin to the "professional engineer" certification that
engineers can get would also seem a relevant idea. Or even something
like "board certification" (like for doctors)... Anything that requires
you to revisit the fundamentals periodically, and get quizzed on them,
would seem like a step in the right direction.

John

--
John Klassa / klassa@mail.com