RE: Is WAP the Web?

From: Nicolas Popp (nico@realnames.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 08:59:46 PDT

>For the companies that are locking & limiting, it'll never last.

All the wireless carriers know that they have a 12 month window opportunity
to build their portal and capture users through personalized content. They
have seen that the walled garden approach of AOL can work and be very
lucrative. So, they have all decided to give it a shot.

Technically, the whole WAP architecture that requires one unique entry point
(unless you are ready to mess with dial up number and IP address in your
phone) is perfect for creating a closed world (some like Rohit have argued
that it was no coincidence!). This will not go away for teh next 2-3 years
either.

Another factor that facilitates this approach is that most European WAP
users are getting hooked to the Web for the first time. Because, these users
have little Web experience/awareness, they hardly know Yahoo, Hotmail or
Amazon, so they are not asking for it. Obviously, as the dotcom brands build
up in these countries, carriers will be forced to open up.

Even when the carriers are forced to open up, they will still be able to
capitalize on 2 big assets:
. they have your profile and billing info
. they'll know your location

They are going to build a lot of personalized services on top of these
(ewallet, location based services...) and they may well decide not to share
this information with anybody in order to give their content a BIG
competitive advantage...

-Nico