WWW goals: xref and.. non-duplication?

From: Rodent of Unusual Size (Ken.Coar@Golux.Com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 11:37:45 PDT

Long, long ago, in a mental condition far, far away..

ISTR at least two aspects of the Web that were supposed to
Simplify Life (and probably end halitosis and bathtub ring,
for all I know). One is the hyperlink aspect, whereby
documents can contain links to one another, turning them
into an indexer's nightmare and a researcher's dream.

The other one I recall is the ability to pull data from
multiple sources into a single seamless presentation,
such as by using IMG tags to pull graphics from other/multiple
sites into the rendered display. Here's the part I'm not
sure about: was, or was not, this intended (at least in part)
to reduce duplication? Allowing diverse hosts to access
a single central data collection rather than having to
duplicate it?

Someone once challenged me that such was never an intention
nor a goal of the whole WWW evolution.. but I'm *sure* I
read it somewhere, round about 1993..

--
#ken    P-)}

Ken Coar <http://Golux.Com/coar/> Apache Software Foundation <http://www.apache.org/> "Apache Server for Dummies" <http://Apache-Server.Com/> "Apache Server Unleashed" <http://ApacheUnleashed.Com/>