Re: Yet another example of Microsoft Evil

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 22:06:44 PDT

Okay, so fine --- sure --- you're not going to want to access some file randomly
--- say, database lookups, whatever --- over a remote connection due to latency,
locking issues, etc. I fail to see why, oh, say a *text editor* cares much
about remote vs. local, as long as the semantics are grossly the same. Vi works
fine for me over NFS, as do a number of other apps I can mention. ;-)

There's nothing the Office apps need or assume that I can think of where any
distinction between remote and local are necessary or even useful. Ergo,
factoring that code into the filesystem should've been a no brainer, rather than
factoring it into some kind of client-side lib and paying the integration cost N
times.

jb