Re: [Elwood] Rumours of FoRK's Death have been greatly exaggerated.

From: Tom Whore (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 08:43:23 PDT

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

--]The Web is not broken -- it just doesn't match what other people think
--]is "fixed". It is getting a bit crufty due to all of the half-measures,
--]workarounds, and broken implementations, but it still works because
--]cruft and bad behavior were anticipated as part of its design.

I had another "explain the net" sessions with some of the people at work
the other day. they were mostly engineers, moslty fromt he field, and
mostly hands on "guys".I think the best image i had for them of the net is
of Duct Tape Model

The net is a series of steam and pneumatic pipes ala brazil. The duct
tape holdsand or patches togther pipes so that various configurations can
be made.

For instance, the offices can each have a frother for thier coffe. All you
need to do is have each person jam a small pipe in one of the nearby duct
tape riddles steam pipe, slap some duct tape on to hold it in place, and
get teh pipe close to thier desks. Add a valve, some duct tape, and bingo,
you just invented teh Frother Trasnport Protocol.

Of course this may cause the steam level to dip and fall at times, so that
calling the boiler room before a coffe break and asking them to pump up
the preasure might be needed..Just another protocol addendum.

Its my belife that as long as the net reamin fluid enough, as long as it
does not get bogged down in becomming too fromalized (yes there is a layer
needed, but the depth of this layer is far thinner than many demand), and
so long as it continues to inovate.

Dig

   New Need
   |Fumbling
   | Invention based on mix of old and new parts
   | | Adaptaion into old structure
   | | Usage review (as opppsosed to strict user reivew)
   | Repeat
   | Spread and Propogate
    Repeat

(S&P often happens in the UR and Adapt phases, ala gnutella)

The net is still felxable enough to meet this model. The condensation of
the ML's (H, X, D, etc) is kicking us into another cycle of webdev, as is
the need to stuff webdev into wireless (wap).

The thing that is making all this possible is that it is a living
breathing gorwing beastie that gets to stretch it legs inthe working real
world. Lab grown creatures are great , but unless they can withstand the
messy world they are learning tools rather than useable tools.

I think some of the more intersting fury these days is watching the growth
leaving the usual suspect places and cropping up in the cracks and
crevices...It is a good example of Hamlets observation to his learned
freind..

  Hor. O day and night, but this is wondrous strange!
  Ham. And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
       There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
       Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Also apropos
                    I'll tell you one thing.
                    Wherever we're goin'. We're