[Forbes] The Best VCs.

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 23:28:35 PDT

[Sorry, Bill Gurley, but Forbes likes two of your colleagues at
Benchmark better. Thanks Linda for sending me this link...]

  http://www.forbes.com/asap/00/0529/098.htm

Gee, this sounds familiar: "Calling Khosla brilliant is also a code for
saying he is very, very difficult to work with. Brainy and abrasive is
the essence of Vinod Khosla. He is one of venture capital's greatest
visionaries, but, says one source, 'Managing people is not his
strength.'"

> When we went out and polled numerous venture capitalists, investment
> bankers, and entrepreneurs on who they consider to be the best VCs in
> the country, we were a little worried we'd get the same old names. And
> while we did get a few we expected (Doerr, Khosla, Moritz), we also got
> a few we didn't (McCance, Roizen). Even more interesting, our poll often
> uncovered the hidden talent in some top-tier firms, such as Benchmark
> Capital's Andy Rachleff. The list below also illustrates the changing
> world of venture capital. Not only are two women represented but so are
> two VCs from Softbank Venture Capital and Benchmark Capital, companies
> that weren't even around five years ago. The only other firms so well
> represented are the venerable Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and
> Sequoia Capital. In addition, one of our biggest point getters was a
> Young Turk named Geoff Yang at Redpoint Ventures.
>

> JIM BREYER Accel Partners
> What nobody knows: He's an avid fly fisherman.
> Achilles' heel: "Taking on too much responsibility"
> Last deal: Walmart.com
> Most famous deal: Walmart.com
> Biggest mistake: "Not devoting enough time to helping a save-the-schools
> initiative"
> Number of company board seats: 10
>
> If you had to pick the best person to bring the world's largest
> retailer, Wal-Mart, into the world's largest potential market, the
> Internet, Breyer's the right one for the job. Called "the best ever" and
> "world-class" by our sources, Breyer is most admired for his ability to
> build enduring companies. Says one industry watcher, "If you're in a
> market where you want to get as much attention as possible, and then get
> out quick, you go to a P. T. Barnum type like Doerr. If you want a
> long-haul guy, you go to Breyer." Of course, in the age of Internet
> time, that may prove more of a liability than an asset.
>
> Still, it's worked so far. His investments include RealNetworks, Agile
> Software, Macromedia, Foundry Networks, Redback Networks, Actuate, and a
> score of other companies that have either gone public or been bought.
> McKinsey grad Breyer is also known for being very smart, but without the
> usual attendant arrogance. "He's got less pride of ownership of new
> ideas than most of those guys," says a source. That gentlemanliness,
> though, doesn't extend to his peers: Accel was a prototype of today's
> generation of hardball venture capital firms. Sitting in his
> glass-enclosed throne room in the Bastille-like Accel headquarters,
> Breyer is a benevolent ruler but a deadly neighbor.
>

> JERRY COLONNA Flatiron Partners
> What nobody knows: No M.B.A., just a B.A.
> Achilles' heel: Too instinctual, not methodical
> Last deal: Small World Sports
> Most famous deal: GeoCities
> Biggest mistake: "Not moving fast enough to change a CEO at a portfolio
> company"
> Number of company board seats: 5

> [...]

----
Adam@4K-Associates.Com

If all our misfortunes were laid in one common heap, whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be content to take their own and depart. -- Socrates