RE: [Winer] Sun & SOAP: Yes or no?

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol (gtn@ebt.com)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 15:27:43 PDT

> The big win of SOAP is that it is relatively easy to write a
> SOAP stack using JavaScript. That is, using SOAP you can have programs
> within the Web browser executing RPCs on remote Web servers. This then
> allows the browser to interact with interesting services.

You don't need SOAP for this, and JavaScript is pretty restricted in
the net-connection side. I can implement the same functionality using
URL parameters.

SOAP, like XML-RPC *is* easy to implement, and that is *great* for
loosely coupled applications where performance isn't crucial, or
rather, where there isn't much chit-chat. As such, it's just one
more form, but certainly not a panacea.