[Ancient bits] Pinpointing the exact moment that Netscape was doomed.

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 19:58:52 PDT

Time to play Monday morning quarterback.

After reading Charles Ferguson's story of Vermeer _High St@kes No
Prisoners_ and Michael Lewis' homage to Jim Clark _The New New Thing_ I
have become morbidly obsessed with the reasons for Netscape's failure
and the point of no return after which this company could not have been
saved. These authors imply that poor decisions were made early on which
gave the company a snowball's chance in hell of surviving.

From reading the Ferguson tirage and the back-and-forth between Lewis
and Clark, we find that Netscape had:
 (1) No architecture, and no architectural strategy
 (2) Poor management, many of whom didn't understand the implications of (1)
 (3) Unwarranted arrogance, especially when dealing with Microsoft
 (4) Inability to keep third-party developers happy
 (5) Overemphasis on cross-platforming the browser,
     underemphasis on cross-platforming the server
 (6) Inability to make the right technology acquisitions
 (7) Refusal to acknowledge the strengths of Apache
 (8) Inability to create and control industry standards
 (9) Too much willingness to let the hackers dictate technology policy

As to when exactly Netscape was doomed, it's hard to be an archeaologist
because pages like http://www.netscape.com/people/ page have been
eradicated from Webspace. (What's the deal with taking stuff off the
Web? Storage is dirt cheap, bits should never leave the 'net!)

My best guess: January 11, 1995.

  http://netcaster.netscape.com/newsref/pr/newsrelease11.html

I'm sticking this press release into the XeNT scrapbook because lord
knows when AOL will discover this and remove it from the Web too...

----
Adam@4K-Associates.Com

It makes for better reading when you ignore trivial details like facts. -- IFindKarma, http://xent.com/FoRK-archive/summer96/0590.html