[Winer] Sun & SOAP: Yes or no?

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 17:57:45 PDT

\me is still watching and waiting for an official announcement from Sun...
and apparently I'm not the only one.

> http://www.scripting.com/
> Wednesday, May 17, 2000
>
> After talking with Michael Condry on Tuesday, I held no hope for Sun
> supporting SOAP any time in the near future. I said so on Scripting
> News. My hopes have been bobbing up and down in the last few days.
> Before Wednesday's shakedown session, while talking with a key
> technologist at Iona, up comes Anne Thomas Manes, Sun's director of
> business strategy. She told a story quite different from Condry's, and
> in-line with what Baker said on Monday.
>
> She wrote a letter, that I have not seen published, but I assume will be
> shortly, saying that Sun has a full-time engineer working on SOAP and
> will make a submission to the Apache Group of a SOAP 1.1 server. I asked
> if she would say so at the shakedown session, she said yes. I didn't
> call on her because Sun was already represented on the panel by Condry,
> who was making more sympathetic sounds than I expected, based on
> yesterday's conversation, but his comments were nowhere near as positive
> and decisive as Manes. I wanted to save Sun the possible embarassment,
> and SOAP the confusion, of a public dispute between two Sun execs.
>
> I'm confused. I've had the hiearchy explained to me. Baker works for
> Condry, but I'm not sure if Condry works for Manes. After the session,
> on the xml-dist-apps mail list, Condry posted several near-flames about
> SOAP. What is going on?? Either there's major news, or indecision at
> Sun. A clear statement of support by Sun of SOAP would be the last major
> milestone before quick deployment of early SOAP-compliant Web apps, the
> spell checker and jit-se.
>
> It's clear that even without Sun's involvement, there is excellent
> support for Java coming from IBM. But Sun's involvement in the
> development and deployment process would be awesome.

----
Adam@4K-Associates.Com

All that said, let me be clear: I screwed up. I should have had three marketing and sales managers in my back pocket and I should have had the nerve to say no [to our CEO candidate]. I should have had the courage of my convictions and bet that in another two months, once we had started announcing ourselves to the world, we could get anybody we wanted. -- Charles Ferguson, _High Stakes, No Prisoners_, p. 169