The Donald

From: I'm not a real doofus, but I play one at a national laboratory (baisley@fnal.gov)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 06:23:02 PDT

I got a mailing yesterday from The Center For Theology and the Natural Sciences
(http://www.ctns.org) in Berkeley. They're putting on the "Creativity,
Spirituality and Computing Technologies" Conference, June 8th in San Jose
(http://www.ssq.net/Coming_Events/SVIntro/svintro.html). Donald Knuth, and
other interesting people will be holding forth. They want $195 for
registration, $125 for students and CTNS members.

I don't know much about the CTNS, but I've heard its Director, Ted Peters,
speak. He was very entertaining.

Silicon Valley Conference
June 8, 2000
Creativity, Spirituality and Computing Technologies
Hyatt Sainte Claire, San Jose, California
Science and the Spiritual Quest, a program of the Center for
Theology and the Natural Sciences, invites you to our Silicon
Valley Conference on "Creativity, Spirituality, and Computing
Technologies" on Thursday, June 8, 2000. The conference will
feature five distinguished speakers:

    Donald Knuth, computer scientist, Stanford University
    Mitch Marcus, artificial intelligence researcher, University
    of Pennsylvania
    Anne Foerst, computer scientist and theologian, MIT
    Artificial Intelligence Lab
    Mark Pesce, Web media pioneer
    Char Davies, virtual reality artist

The conference is designed for technology professionals,
business leaders, religious leaders, and academics. Our
speakers and audience will explore critical questions at the
intersections of computer science and information technology
with spiritual, aesthetic, and social concerns:

    How do computing and artificial intelligence research
    inform our understanding of consciousness, cognition,
    and the human person?
    How are the Internet and communication technologies
    reshaping human relationships and societies?
    How can we connect technology development as a
    creative process and computing research as a scientific
    process?
    How should our ethical and spiritual values guide the
    development and deployment of new technologies?

Held at the historic Hyatt Sainte Claire Hotel in downtown San
Jose, the conference offers both fresh perspectives and
enduring contexts for some of the most dramatic
transformations of our time.

                                                                Cheers,
                                                                Wayne

http://www-oss.fnal.gov/~baisley