Re: Criminals in the Tech World

From: Ernest N. Prabhakar (ernest@alumni.caltech.edu)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 11:40:23 PDT

on 5/13/00 6:57 PM, Jay Thomas at jay@thomas.vg wrote:

> cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net wrote:
>> Do people change and grow? I have, but haven't seen it happen often.
>> What do you think?
>> Cindy
>
> Interestingly, enough (at least to me with 8 Sam Adams in me), the email
> I received immediately after yours, was a word of the day type deal,
> reminding me that the animal known in Summer as "weasel" (with all the
> sleazy images that name conjures), is known in Winter, when it's coat
> has turned white, as "ermine", (with the images of opulence that name
> conjures).
>
> Of course people change and grow. The question is if society allows them
> to do so. We all make mistakes, some of us worse than others. Whether or
> not society lets you forget and move on is another matter.

Well, obviously society is an enormous generalization. The more relevant
question for most of us is whether our friends and family let us grow past
our mistakes. And whether we ourselves are willing to let go of our past.

Sure, for certain dramatic cases this becomes a government/social problem,
but even there it is largely an extension of community sentiment.

-- Ernie P.

Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D.
ernest@drernie.com
http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~ernest