Re: Malevolence

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 18:39:51 PDT

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Eugene Leitl wrote:

> Adam L. Beberg writes:
>
> > Good thing there will be more microprocessors shipped this year then
> > there are humans on Earth, someone has to tell people what to do.
>
> Do you have a ref for this? If true, this is a quite interesting
> hallmark indeed.

[ http://www.darpa.mil/ito/proceedings/pro-activecomp_18may99.ppt]
~3MB of Powerpoint outlines and things. I saw this converted into an
article in the May 2000 Communications of the ACM.

The 2000 estimates are 8.3B chips total, 7.3B microcontrollers, 281M
Embedded, 600M DSP's, and 150M "CPU"s. Of this about 1.8B are >=16bit
and 900M are >=32bit... yum.

Since the 1997 numbers were 4.4B, we probably safely hit 1/human/year in
99. I'll leave the integration of how many are out there per human for
you ;)

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/