RE: XML File Size Bloat fingered for perf probs [ComputerWorld]

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol (gtn@ebt.com)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 13:42:06 PDT

> But some analysts and users caution that XML might not be suited for
> every type of transaction. They expect that many companies will have
> a blended XML/EDI strategy.

This is interesting. In my seminars on XML, I often caution people to
be careful about the adoption of XML, especially where high numbers
of transactions occur and high performance is required.

For example, the increase in byte size of an XML-encoded RPC vs a
binary RPC can cause significant performance degradation, simply
because more packets must be sent and acknowledged.